Uprooted: Review

Given that we're probably moving (again!) some time this coming year, I was intrigued when I saw this book by Rebecca VanDoodewaard: Uprooted: A Guide for Homesick Christians.  So I bought it and decided to give it a go.

Let me say up front that I thought it was excellent.  It helps Christians who are moving to prepare for homesickness considering what it is, what the temptations are, what makes it better and worse and with specific chapters considering things like children, singleness and being in the pastorate.  It is laced with biblical wisdom, supplemented by the author's experience and the experience of other Christians, e.g. Susannah Spurgeon and Ann Judson.

Particularly helpful is a chapter on the good things about moving and a chapter on how our homesickness points us to our real home.

As a book, it may feel like it is targeted at a fairly small niche, although in a more mobile society that may be an ever-growing niche, but a final chapter on helping those who are homesick was a brilliant reminder about the responsibility of all of us to care for the lonely and homesick in our congregations and communities.  It made me glad to have read it for myself and my family, but also for my future ministry.

It is probably best described as a book of wise biblical counsel rather than a particularly deep biblical theological overview of homesickness.  It was, at times a little folksy and a little feminine for my tastes (I'm not sure you can blame the author for that, but most of her historical examples were women).  However, an easy writing style and short chapters made it an easy read and I think means that it is accessible to a wide range of people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Archbishops and False Teachers

What should Christians learn from Brexit (and Trump's victory)?

Sacrifice and 21st Century Conservative Evangelicals